Columbia insurance company is seeking a Controller to lead the finance team in the completion of financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and statutory accounting principles. Specific duties include the following:
- Overall management of all day to day activities and operations of the Finance department
- Coordination with department staff to ensure the timely and accurate completion of close work to include accounting for premiums, commissions, losses, expenses, cash etc.
- Ensure financial close work is done in compliance with US GAAP, NAIC SAP, and company accounting policies
- Prepare analytical review of financial results and prepare commentary or explanations for period development
- Manage the review of monthly/quarterly reconciliations and work with Finance department staff to resolve variances
- Provide responses for questions concerning financial results
- Review of reports and statements for various state and regulatory filings
- Assist in establishing policies and procedures for statutory/GAAP accounting and reporting
- Establish and maintain SOX controls to ensure compliance with internal and external requirements
- Assist and provide support for internal/external audits and budget processes
- Interpret accounting policies and / or authoritative literature
- Assist in managing technology and system changes and transition to new workflows
- Furnish advice on accounting matters such as implications of new accounting pronouncements or classification of transactions for balance sheet or income statement presentation
- Responsible for coaching, developing and motivating Finance department staff
- Other duties as may be required from time to time
Applicants should have Bachelors degree in Accounting and 10-15 years of progressive insurance industry experience, including US GAAP and statutory close and reporting work. Should have knowledge of and experience in reinsurance accounting, good working knowledge of US GAAP, SSAP accounting, and general ledger systems such as CODA. Advanced Excel skills required.
To $120K plus discretionary bonus.
Please submit your résumé in Word or PDF format to [email protected].