Columbia insurance company is seeking a financial professional to be responsible for technical accounting and reconciliations. This role will support the finance team in the completion of financial statements in accordance with GAAP and statutory accounting principles and will assist in the redesign and implementation of technical accounting process, including documentation of SOX controls.
Specific duties include the following:
- Perform reinsurance calculations
- Responsible for reinsurance billing and maintaining relationships with reinsurance brokers and affiliates
- Prepare payment requests to settle reinsurer balances
- Perform balance sheet reconciliations and resolve any discrepancies; create journal entries and adjustments when necessary
- Prepare collateral calculations and interact with reinsurers to ensure adequate funding
- Perform analytical review of financial results for assigned business and prepare commentary or explanations for period development
- Provide responses for questions concerning financial results
- Prepare profit sharing commission calculations related to reinsurance contracts
- Prepare Schedule F for annual regulatory reporting
- Assist with preparation of reports and statements for various state and regulatory filings
- Assist and provide support for internal/external audits and budget processes
- In addition to key responsibilities, you may be required to undertake other duties from time to time as the company may reasonably require. Experience in operational accounting close work, performing data review and calculation of technical results
We are seeking a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance with 5-7 years of corporate accounting experience, ideally in the insurance industry. CPA, MBA strongly preferred. Must have experience in operational accounting close work, performing data review, and calculation of technical results. Experience in reinsurance accounting strongly preferred. Must have strong working knowledge of general ledger systems, GAAP, and statutory accounting principles and possess advanced Excel skills.
Please submit your résumé in Word or PDF format to [email protected].